According to recent research by the USDA, Americans eat foods with too many calories and not enough nutrient values. However when snacking is done right and you eat healthy snacks you can increase your energy AND gt the nutrients you need, all without adding extra fat or calories.
First a few key pieces of information about food and your body: Protein (alongside exercise) fuels the growth of lean muscle mass, which boosts metabolic rate and increases calorie burn. Unlike carbohydrates which get used up relatively quickly, protein will help sustain your energy and hunger levels for a couple of hours. Fiber helps improve your digestion and keeps you from binging on other foots full of fats and sugars.
No food will actually burn fat for you, but the right choices will help your body utilize all of the nutrients you take in and put them to good use rather than store them as fat.
Now some healthy snacks to curb your hunger:
- An apple & a glass of skim milk will give you about 10 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber for just over 200 calories.
- A banana & a glass of skim milk will give you about 10 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber for just under 200 calories.
- 1 cup of cottage cheese will give you about 25 grams of protein for just over 200 calories.
- An avocado will give you about 3 grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber for around 230 calories.
- Some light tuna on whole wheat crackers will give you about 20 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber for about 200 calories.
- A cup of edamame will give you about 17 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber for 189 calories.
- 15 asparagus spears (cooked or raw) with one hard-boiled egg will give you about 11 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber for only 126 calories.
- A stalk of celery with 2 tbsp of peanut butter will give you about 8 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber for around 200 calories.
- A stick of string cheese (brand dependent) will give you about 6 grams of protein for around 80 calories.
- Greek Yogurt (brand dependent) will give you about 17 grams of protein for around 170 calories.